I love these bran and Pecan muffins so much I decided to share the recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. If you are embarking on a low GI diet these are great to have around! This is also a great lunch box treat or after gym natural glycogen replacement.
2 extra large eggs
1 cup soft brown sugar
4 tbsp canola oil or macadamia, avocado or walnut oil
1 cup oat bran
1.5 cups cake flour
2 cups digestive bran
2.5 ml salt
3 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice ground ginger
1 large apple, grated
2 cups fat free or low fat milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- Beat the eggs together along with the sugar and oil in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and grated apple on top of the egg and sugar mix.
- Add the milk and vanilla and stir until mixed well.
- The nuts should be mixed in at the very end so if you are planning to leave the mixture in the fridge for 24 hours don’t add the nuts yet.
- Leave overnight in the fridge or for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180°C. Stir the batter (add the nuts) and drop into lightly greased muffin pans, filling each muffin hole 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Store muffins in the fridge for up to 3 days
* Great idea
- Mixture (without the nuts) can be kept in the fridge for up to 30 days.
- Do not freeze the batter.
- Baked muffins freeze well for up to 3 months. (good idea for holiday snacks or just something healthy at hand)
- Add Banana for a great variation