We spend most of our lives sleeping and restoring our body’s as we do so. Although you can’t really tell if you sleep too much, your body will soon give you clear warning signs if you don’t get enough sleep. Its not an understatement, sleep is vital for our survival. Apart from the obvious reasons for sleeping, in the stressful day and age that we live in, rest is imperative to stay on top of your game and to perform to the best of your capabilities and get the absolute best that life has to offer! We simply cant afford irritability, moodiness and disinhibition in a working environment which are some of the first signs a person experiences from lack of sleep.
Why IS sleep so important?
- You renew your body and its organs during sleep/rest including the skin which is the largest organ in the body.
- Improve Memory with rest your brain can process events and information better which will assist in remembering smaller details this is important in every day life but especially if you are still studying
- Control body weight sleep helps control the hormones that regulate how much you eat. Appetite increases when there is an imbalance in these hormones.
- Control Mood Disorders as mentioned lack of sleep causes irritability and moodiness but left unattended continuous lack of sleep can develop into depression and anxiety
- Best long term health remedy no one can argue with a longer life and added heart and diabetes benefits sleeping is really vital for health and happiness.
SO HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT IT? SOME TIPS TO MAKE YOU SLEEP LIKE A BABY
- Make sure your room is nice and dark with no disturbances. Light suppresses melatonin production. Melatonin is the hormone necessary for sleeping. IF you can change to lower watt energy saving lights.
- Switch all TV’s off and avoid noise as much as possible
- Nothing beats a cup of Camomile tea for a nice deep sleep
- Routine is extremely important go to bed at the same time and wake up in a regular pattern.
- Only nap in the day if it doesn’t cause you to sleep less at night.
- Avoid too much caffeine during the day.
- Get enough sunlight on your skin during the day.
- Avoid alcohol at night as it increases sleep interferences.
- Avoid too much other fluids as well unless you want to spend the whole night making trips to the bathroom.
- Invest in a good bed. If you are going to spend most of your life sleeping it will be an investment worth making.
- Use the bed for sleeping and sex only. Don’t work in bed as you will form a association with a stress-factor in stead of relaxing.
- Don’t eat huge meals before bed time. Your metabolism slows down and there is nothing worse than indigestion during the evening and waking up with that “food hangover”
- Try a nice relaxing bath with a couple of drops of lavender
How much sleep should you aim for? They recommend about 6 to 8 hours a day. If you can’t sleep that much for which ever reason try and work a couple of naps in. If you cant sleep during the day which is something I struggle with, try resting and blocking out all disturbances, think of nothing. You will be amazed how rejuvenated you feel after a ten minute rest just blocking out the world’s worries and just relaxing.
I also find that the more I have accomplished by being organized and doing what I needed to do for the day the more I can find peace from anxiety and just relax.