If you go back in history most basic teachings regarding getting the most out of your life always boils down to “be careful what you think about”. Why? Because thoughts have the power to set in motion, desires, feelings, action and ultimately determine what is going on in your life. Panicking already? I rest my case.
Because I can literally write a whole book about this subject, I am going to try keep is short and sweet.
We think about 70 000 thoughts per day and if you are thinking negative thoughts this can really ultimately influence the way you live your life. Thoughts generally provoke feelings. If you are constantly thinking worst case scenario or playing on negative things over and over again you are literally poisoning yourself with negative emotions.
These negative thoughts never just stay thoughts they provoke feelings which activates your physical responses which can also be detrimental to your health. They can cause severe anxiety, stress depression and the list goes on.
What if I told you this is all in your head and there is actually no truth to what you are thinking? That you can change your thinking by reprogramming your thought patterns and being mindful of the junk you are thinking? It is extremely important to know that these thoughts can be controlled by being consciously aware of what exactly you are thinking. Easier said than done I know but I would really like to share with you what I have learned (in a nutshell). Here are the steps to reprogram what you think.
- You have to realize that the negative thoughts are not you, its your brain and you have a choice what to think and what to respond to.
- When you are thinking negative thoughts, be mindful and recognize them.
- Classify them as negative thoughts and dismiss them. If you are experiencing negative feelings embrace it but know that they are not real.
- Clear your mind with this easy breathing exercise. Relax, close your eyes, breathe in through your nose. Visualize the air going into your nose and through your body. When you are breathing in count one, when you are breathing out count two continue until you reach 10 dismissing any thoughts that come into your mind. (this takes practice and you will notice its quite hard not to start thinking about stuff)
- When you are ready to think about something make sure you think of something productive, positive and constructive
Like any habit, negative thinking will take a while to re program. For example, when you quit smoking you have to break that pattern and keep your self busy with other things. Likewise the breathing exercise will help to break up the pattern the negative-thinking rollar-coaster by clearing and replacing them with positive vibes.
Also important, try reading positive self help books and surround yourself with positive people. Bit by bit you will see a turnaround in your whole life. You can believe it!
“You are the driver of your mind, so take charge and keep it busy with your instructions by telling it where you want it to go. Your mind only takes off on its own if you are not telling it what to do”
“You see everything is about belief, whatever we believe rules our existence, rules our life.” ~ Don Miguel Ruiz